PSA Hits a Hobby Home Run, Scores 10 Highest Auction Prices of 2016
December 20, 2016
(Newport Beach, CA) — It was a great year for the hobby. Prices soared, especially those in the vintage card market, treasure troves of cards were uncovered, and the hobby in general thrived.
At the center of this buzzing market was Professional Sports Authenticator (www.PSAcard.com), the company that authenticated the ten highest priced collectibles sold at public auction in 2016.
PSA, and its autograph authentication division, PSA/DNA, emphatically stamped the hobby with their brands, and it reflected in the values of the top selling collectibles. The top 10 highest selling collectibles in 2016, all of which were PSA or PSA/DNA-certified, combined for an astonishing $12,186,294 in value.
Topping the list at $3,263,246 is the “Laws of Base Ball,” the group of documents written in 1856 & 1857 that framed the foundation of America’s pastime. Other notable items include a 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle rookie card graded PSA NM-MT+ 8.5 that sold for over $1 million, and a professional model bat used by the fabled “Shoeless” Joe Jackson that sold for $583,500.
Here is the complete list, in order of auction price realized:
- The Laws of Base Ball: $3,263,246, SCP Auctions, April 2016
- 1909-11 T206 Honus Wagner, PSA EX 5 (MC): $3,120,000, Goldin Auctions, October 2016
- 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle, PSA NM-MT+ 8.5: $1,135,250, Heritage Auctions, November 2016
- 1909-11 T206 Honus Wagner, PSA Good 2: $776,750, Heritage Auctions, November 2016
- 1963 Topps Pete Rose, PSA Gem Mint 10: $717,000, Heritage Auctions, August 2016
- 1916 M101-5 Blank Back Sporting News Babe Ruth, PSA NM 7: $717,000, Heritage Auctions, August 2016
- 1909 E90-1 American Caramel Joe Jackson, PSA NM-MT 8: $667,189, SCP Auctions, August 2016
- 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan, PSA Gem Mint 10: $612,359, Heritage Auctions, August 2016
- Muhammad Ali Autographed Fight Worn Gloves from "The Fight of the Century" 1971 Bout vs. Joe Frazier: $594,000, Goldin Auctions, August 2016 (Supporting Provenance Letter from Angelo Dundee authenticated by PSA/DNA)
- 1917-21 “Shoeless” Joe Jackson Professional Model Bat, PSA/DNA GU 7: $583,500, Christie’s, October 2016.
Of the top 10 items sold at public auction, two cracked the PSA “Record Breakers” list for all-time auction records. The “Laws of Base Ball” earned the top “Baseball Document” spot, while the 1909-11 T206 Honus Wagner PSA EX 5 (MC) ranks as the all-time highest selling baseball card at public auction. The entire list of PSA Auction Prices Realized Record Breakers can be found at www.PSAcard.com/brand-makes-the-difference.
PSA is the world's largest trading card, autograph, and memorabilia authentication and grading service. Since 1991, PSA experts have examined and certified over 27 million collectibles with a combined value of over $1 billion.
Article provided by Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) at www.PSAcard.com