- February 3, 2009
Inaugural Heritage Stamp Auction, Feb. 5-7, 2009
DALLAS, TX – Heritage Auction Galleries of Dallas, Texas (http://www.HA.com/Stamps?type=psestamp-C2A2-013009), the world's third largest auction company, is re-entering the philatelic market after 15 years with its Inaugural Signature® Stamp Auction to be held in Dallas and online, Feb. 5-7, 2009.
A fantastic array of high grade stamps abound in this sale, and a few highlights are Mint, original gum examples of the 1847 Franklin 5-cent (Scott #1a), $3 Columbian Exposition (Scott #243), a rare "Inverted Jenny, (#C3a)," which is – simply put – the Holy Grail of stamp collecting, a pair of 1840 Great Britain 2p Blue (S.G. #5/Scott #2) and the largest known multiple of the un-issued, non-denominated H "Yellow Hat" variety are among the items that will be offered in this important auction.
Well-known for its rare coin, currency, art, Americana, sports, comics, movie posters and jewelry auctions, full-color glossy catalogs and state-of-the art online resources for buyers and sellers, this will be the firm's first philatelic auction since 1993 when its predecessor stamp division was known as Ivy, Shreve and Mader.
Heritage has more than 400,000 registered bidders in the United States and around the world for its 26 categories of collectibles and antiques, and enthusiasm for the new stamp division has rapidly grown in recent weeks, according to Steve Crippe, Heritage's Director of Rare Stamps.
"I am overwhelmed at the response I have already received from collectors and consignors about our re-entry into the stamp auction market," said Crippe. "Heritage believes there is significant strength in the marketplace for high-quality, historic, rare philatelic items."
Highlights of the upcoming stamp auction include:
- 1847 Franklin five-cent dark brown (Scott #1a), original gum, graded PSE Mint 98J, Mint. This is the highest graded Mint #1 in any shade, known to date and has a spectacular corner sheet margin from position 100R. This stamp is estimated to exceed six figures when the hammer drops.
- 1893 $3 Columbian Exposition (Scott #243) lightly hinged with fresh original gum and graded PSE Superb 98 OGph. Pre-auction estimate is $20,000-$25,000.
- 1918, 24c Carmine Rose & Blue (#C3a), original gum, graded PSE f70. The Holy Grail of stamp collecting. This copy is Position 22 and is one of only 2 copies attaining this grade (as of 10/08) and only 3 copies are graded higher. Pre-auction estimate is $400,000
- 1840 Great Britain 2p Blue (S.G. #5/Scott #2), Mint original gum pair with generous and well balanced margins. Estimated at $35,000-$50,000.
- A mint, never hinged, block of 20 fresh and evenly centered non-denominated 1999 H "Yellow Hat" variety. It is the largest known multiple of these stamps, and the pre-auction estimate is $150,000 - $200,000.
The auction will also offer Classic U.S., 1869 Pictorial Issues, Bank Notes, Columbians, Trans-Mississippians, Pan-American inverts, Washington-Franklins, Post 1920, Airmail, Special Delivery, Duck Stamps, (including Rare Plate Proofs), Postage Dues, Shanghai overprints, Officials, Newspapers, Proofs and Essays, Postal history, British, Canadian, Rare Foreign, PSE ‘Top of the Pop', and Modern errors, according to Crippe.
Veteran collectors will remember Heritage Co-Chairman Steve Ivy who founded Steve Ivy Philatelic Auctions and Steve Ivy Rare Stamps in the early 1980s. He also was a principal in the firm of Ivy, Shreve & Mader from 1990 to 1993 when the company was sold to Greg Manning Auctions, Inc. With a 15 year non-compete agreement now completed, Ivy and Heritage Auction Galleries are back in the stamp market.
"Heritage is opening a whole new venue for collectors to find the treasures that they love and to expand their hobbies to include stamps in their pursuit of rare collectibles," said Ivy. "Heritage is re-entering the stamp market using our ability to reach the most discriminating collectors from all over the world. Our customer service, integrity and our easily accessible permanent database of more than two million auction items have helped us become the largest, most trusted collectibles auctioneer in the business."
For additional information, to receive a catalog or to register online, go to http://www.HA.com/Stamps?type=psestamp-C2A2-013009 or call 866-835-3243, and mention reference #DM15076.
Article provided by Professional Stamp Experts (PSE) at www.PSEstamp.com